Dark leafy greens are superfoods and potent in essential nutrients; vitamins, minerals, are rich in fibre and low in calories. We all should be consuming daily, dark leafy greens such as kale, swiss chard, spinach and dandelion, just to name a few .
Studies have shown that we really need to eat 4-6 servings of greens each day and so many of us are not even meeting a minimum requirement of 2-3 servings. We live in a fast-paced, constantly on-the-go world and our diets and health are paying for it. However, they don't have to. By making conscious choices every day and with a little bit of planning, consuming greens is relatively easy. Be sure to either steam or make a salad with a variety of greens at each meal and start having 1 greens drink per day. If you can make it 2, great!
- Keep coconut water readily available, which can be purchased in cans or cartons at any grocery store.
- Pack your freezer full of frozen fruits; mixed berries, mango, pear, apples.
- Be sure to have a stock of grapefruit and oranges.
- Get a really good blender.
- When you purchase your greens, wash and cut up them up before putting them away. This way they are ready to blend.
- Use a travel mug of some sort or mason jar so that you can take them with you.
It's really that simple. You can have fun and expirement with recipes. A quick search online will result in many great recipes. If you have not tried any greens drinks before, keeping fruit on hand is the key to making them tasty!
Here is one of our favourite recipes at Alma:
- 1 cup coconut water.
- 1 large handful of kale.
- 1 large handful of baby spinach.
- 1/2 of a grapefruit.
- 4 frozen mango chunks.
- 1/2 of an apple.
- 1/2 of an orange.
- If you like it chilled, add a few ice cubes.
- Blend and serve!
Posted in not categorized Tagged with no tags